Thursday, December 17, 2009

did you know?

Did you know that cotton candy is known as 'barbe a papa' in Quebec?

Loosely translated, that means daddy's beard.

I've always thought cotton candy was pretty disgusting in the first place, what with its taste and texture and sugary content and association with carnies.

But now it's got an added perverseness and Freudian creepiness to it that I never thought possible. I'll never look at young French kids eating cotton candy the same way again. (Hold up a second, it's not like I was looking at young French kids eating cotton candy in the first place.)

Note: Apparently in Australia, they call cotton candy 'fairy floss.'

3 comments:

Red Sox Jon said...

There's a series of French children's books where the main character is named Barbe-a-Papa. Always wondered what the hell that meant. The books are pretty creepy.

Jung said...

I read a book where little childrens hands were hot sauce bottles...

Jagged bloody hot sauce bottles

www.sweatinghiccups.com

Osa Corcovado Tours said...

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site. I'm hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well.