Monday, January 3, 2011

happy thought to start your year

As we start this new year, with new hope and new dreams, here's a little story that I read this morning that puts it all into perspective. The actual CEO wages aren't all that shocking actually, but the story's lead really makes my whole next year feel kind of pathetic:

Canada's top-paid chief executives only have to work until 2:30 p.m. Monday to make the same amount of money the average Canadian will earn for the entire year, a new study suggests.

Now I've been on the "Kill Bankers" tip for a while now - especially after seeing Inside Job - so reading this jives with my surly philosophy that all rich people are greedy and suck. (Although, I suppose they could just have easily replaced 'Canada's top-paid chief executives' with 'Many professional athletes' and I probably would have shrugged.)

The story really does have the ability to get you down, if you live check to check like I am right now. The disparity in wages between these chief swindlers and regular folks are getting out of hand, especially when I try to imagine how much 'real work' these people actually do.

I started to get down, actually, until one thought immediately picked me up. It's January 3, 2011 today. I don't have to work today. And while those CEOs are currently 56 minutes from having made the equivalent of my yearly income, at least I'm still in bed while those working stiffs are stuck at their desks.

Have fun, CEOs, ya big chumps ya. I think I might just have a coffee and Baileys right now... mmm...

Happy New Year

1 comment:

hillybillyjim said...

Holy shite, are you ever into handbags or what?

By the way, what are ya, American?
Cheque to cheque...