Monday, August 10, 2009

patrick kane: or fists in the mirror may be closer than they appear

Watch out, Cabbie

I have to tell you, I am not at all surprised.

If you're a hockey fan, you have no doubt heard the news. If you aren't, you can quickly catch up to speed on the off-season activities of one Patrick Kane.

Long story short: Patrick Kane, the pint-sized forward for the Chicago Blackhawks, allegedly punched a cabbie at 5 a.m. Sunday, after the cabbie couldn't provide Kane with 20 cents change for a $13.80 cab fare in Buffalo, NY, according to a police report. Kane had given him $15 and the cabbie provided him with $1 change. Note: Kane pulled in a cool $3.725 million last year.

I must say, I saw this long ago. I don't tend to hate things or people irrationally. I really don't. 

But when I do feel the all-too familiar twinge of disdain, there is generally a reason, which may not come to light for days, months or even years.

Back on May 10, I wrote:
"I hate Kane. He's a little biatch. Honestly, there aren't many NHLers I would ever say that about, on the oft-chance that I'd ever run into them in real life after they read my blog, but I swear, I could kick the shit out of Kane. I don't like Kane."

I admit, those were harsh words. But now, I feel they have been validated.

In truth, I truly believe Kane logged onto slinginlingo (as it is widely-known as one of the most popular blogs amongst NHL players) read the post and took it upon himself to shed the wimpy guy image, and started with this poor cab driver. I suppose next week sometime, an unsuspecting bus driver will miss Kane's stop and the 2008 Calder Winner will toss him/her out the window. From there, he could move on to pilots and then ferry captains. Who knows? I would be worried if I was the zamboni driver at the United Centre though.

Anyways, I'm sure this thing will be settled out of court and Kane won't receive much of any retribution. I am surprised by one aspect of this story though: how was his name released? Isn't there a publication ban on the names of juvenile delinquents? Oh, he's 20. My bad.

Exclusive Patrick Kane mugshot. 

Note: The preceding post has nothing at all to do with Kane's performance against the Vancouver Canucks in last year's playoffs. At all. We at slinginlingo are far bigger than joining the media doggypile on a person when they are down. Especially if that person near single-handedly broke their heart (like he broke a cab driver's glasses) with one backhand in an elimination game months ago. We're definitely classier than that.

P.S. Patrick Kane is a no-good bully, and was the first person to get -- and transmit -- swine flu.

No comments: