Sunday, September 13, 2009

slingin lingo in my dreams

Once again, my lack of planning seems to be coming back to bite me in the ass.

I'll be flying into Iceland on Thursday night, getting in Friday morning, and hope to see the country by driving around the ring road that pretty much runs along its coast. The hitch though is that renting -- or 'hiring' as the Brits say -- a car in Iceland can run up a small fortune. I spoke with a guy who has done a lot of biking today and he suggested I buy a cheap bike and do the tour by pedal. And I think it's a great idea.

However...

1. I'm definitely not in peak physical condition and 1,339km worth of biking could be a lot to ask.

2. I'm only in Iceland for 14 days, so if you average it out, that's 100km a day. Errrggg....

3. I'm going to meet a friend in Akureyri in the North and hang out for a day or two for some hiking, so there's a day or two to scratch to jack up the daily average.

4. I wanted to hit up some hot springs and relax and I hear the party scene in Reykjavik is pretty stellar, so I wouldn't mind chilling there for a couple days to explore.

So that means I'd probably be on the bike for nine or 10 days -- meaning about 130-140km per day. That seems hefty.

But what better way to see a country. To just be able to stop and camp anywhere I feel, by waterfalls or geysers or volcanoes or at hot springs. And it would be CHEAP -- like the budgie.

I wish I would have planned this out a little better and maybe given myself another week.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. You all know me and can talk me out of -- or further into -- this delusion.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Mongoose said...

Considering that even a recreational biker can do 60 km/h on the flat (admittedly not for an hour), 130 km per day seems perfectly plausible. About five or six hours of biking a day should do it easily.

Oil Can Boyd said...

i think i'm going to take an 'i'll see when i get there' approach