Monday, September 28, 2009

son and daughter

In Iceland, the last names of citizens are based upon their sex and the first names of their parents. My dad´s name is Dave, so if I was Icelandic, my name would be Herb Davidson. If I was a girl, my name would be Herb Davidsdottir -- and I´d be the gangliest, most awkward looking female on this island.

Because of this unique naming system, Icelanders are listed by first name in the phone book.

Anyways, since I always love a good word game (when I was a teenager, I said I wanted to name my kid Nads, so I could yell Go Nads when he was playing hockey. Also, I friend in college once suggested I change my last name to Eaverstinks, and I laughed for about three weeks straight) I decided if I was an Icelander, I´d name my kid Blackhole.

Then, 20-30 years down the road, he´d have a son and his last name would become Blackholeson -- and would pay homage to early-90s Soundgarden.

Here are some other names I would toy with:
Herecomesthe
Iboughtitstraightcash
Roymun

The dottir part is a little more difficult.
All I could come up with was Paleblue, after the Carl Sagan book.

Let me know if you can come up with any others.

1 comment:

Jung said...

Charlesman