Thursday, July 8, 2010

On the same night...

On the same night I sweated through a ball game under the big lights on the third consecutive over-40C day, which really just seemed cruel at the point. (You have no idea how much I've been sweating these last five days. Crude human written symbols could never do it justice.)

On the same night I got on a train and watched an old senile guy entertain himself (and myself) and the same night I learned his whole routine in 90 seconds because he kept repeating it every minute or two like he was a broken machine... ("I got off from St. Catherines. I'm not crazy. I'm nuts. HA heh heh HA heh HA!")

On the same night Lebron James told the world he couldn't win a championship by himself and crapped out to try to win one with Dwyane Wade. What a gigantic suck. I agree with Bill Simmons. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird or even Kobe Bryant wouldn't team up with his biggest rival in the league. Those guys would be more interested in dominating all their most difficult challengers and being considered the greatest. I haven't watched any of the interviews from tonight or anything yet, but I think what has happened in the NBA over the past seven days should be considered one of the most ridiculous chain of events to ever befall a league. The NBA is incredible. Not incredible awesome, but incredible in that it has lost credibility. Nothing like this has happened before and I think this whole thing is garbage. Bosh, Lebron and Wade play together in Beijing, they become friends and then they hijack the league? Miami has terrible fans. They didn't even show up to support a team with Dwyane Wade, so how do they deserve this team? I think a lot less of Chris Bosh right now. He had no intention of resigning in Toronto. I guess his team sucks because Bryan Colangelo (see Will Arnett from Arrested Development) has no idea what he is doing, but he still walked out on the franchise. I suppose he can't be faulted too much because he appears to be half-reptile, which means he is cold-blooded. (My buddy Mike thinks he is an Avatar.) I just know that I won't be cheering for Miami now. (Although, they might be the greatest team ever assembled in basketball video game history.) Who do I like? As much as it pains me to say this and as much as I wish they were still in Seattle, I'm cheering for the Thunder and Kevin Durant from now on.

On the same night all this NBA trash went down, we stumbled into a bar where the Hellbound Hepcats were playing and damn was it boss, as the hip cats would say. These guys were total throwback, with the greased back hair, stand-up bass and Elvis, Chuck Berry and Johnny Cash catalogue. The bassist was a maniac and he wasn't merely a bassist: he had this percussionist bent where he would play by slapping the strings. At one point, he broke his bridge and instead of fixing it quickly and jamming it in as fast as he could to get back with his band, he picked it up and worked it back into place with his fist to the beat of the song... buuuump buuuump... bump bump.... We weren't the only ones who noticed and a bunch of us had a laugh while we watched him knock the bridge back into his stand-up bass like bump bump bump

It was sort of a Twin Peaks night actually. The old man in the Metro - he was this guy


And I couldn't figure out whether the singer or bassist reminded me more of James, but here you go...


Anyways, if you haven't watched Twin Peaks, then do it.
If you haven't experienced a heat wave like this, then good.
And if you haven't seen the Hellbound Hepcats yet, then what the fuck are you waiting for?

- Minus Drummer

No comments: