Monday, February 23, 2009

Humboldt is hokeyville

Yes, Hokey-ville, my friends.

I understand there is an element of hokeyness in this whole Kraft Hockeyville contest that is being endlessly pimped by the CBC. But the Humboldt segment pushed us into a surreal 'Twilight Zone' of hokeyness.

I like small communities. I eventually want to start a family in one, I think. You know, hitting the Timmy's before sunrise, driving the kids to the rink. Pretty much your standard, slo-motion death...

But this Humboldt montage -- including the Elgar Peterson minute-long interview, where he says nothing and vacantly looks like he's staring death himself in the face, and the song (replete with piccalo fills) with lyrics right out of the adlib song book -- is nearly unwatchable.

Please keep listening, even if your ears start bleeding.


Hoombilt is huckeyveeel and wheel tell yuh wiiii

Is this traditional Saskatchewan music? Just because someone wrote a song for this event, is the CBC really bound to play it? Isn't there some kind of quality censor? I swear, I sang this dang tune all Saturday night and Sunday morning and my voice slowly devolved into an inbred kind of slur. I had the lyrics memorized and everything.

I have nothing against the people of Humboldt, or anything personally against the musical collective that pulled this song out their wazoos, but can we agree that this is the last time we ever have to hear this and that we put a little effort into our lyrics next time.

And now let's wait for the Humboldt hate mail to start rolling in...

No comments: