Saturday, February 6, 2010

feminist case study

Went out tonight to Esco Bar (Pablo?) and saw Al's band, Light Bulb Alley, rock the shit. Stuck around and discovered my new favourite group in Montreal, the Motherfuckers, who play a surf-rock, vocal-less brand of music that brought to mind the best of mid-1990s Huevos Rancheros.

There were enough quirky characters and pretty girls at the gig to fill a visitor's log book tonight. I swear, if I keep updating this blog after nights like tonight, slinginlingo.com is going to start looking like a Tourism Montreal website.

Anyways, after taking my second or third piss in the makeshift (makeshit?) unisex washroom and walking past the makeshift line, I was struck with a little existential and potentially chivalry-killing conundrum for all the feminists out there.

The past couple weekends at Igloofest, where people use porto-johns outside, I've always been the courteous and chivalrous man and put the toilet seat down upon exiting, even if I used the little piss bucket on the side of the john. In a few instances when I put down the seat on the toilet I never used, I noticed the seat was drenched in piss splatter and being the chivalrous man that I've been conditioned to be, I made it my duty to wipe up the mad sprinkle with toilet paper, in case the next user was a nice, young lady and she had to use the seat.

And tonight, as always, I made sure I put the seat down when I was done using our porcelain friend.

But it got me thinking: feminists want an egalitarian society, where there is no difference between man or woman, right? So why do I feel like I'm doing a disservice if I leave the toilet seat up, but whenever a woman leaves the toilet, she feels no guilt about leaving the seat down.

I'm a dude. I have to piss. I want that shit up when I'm unbuckling trow.

Shouldn't a woman, in an egalitarian society, leave that shit up out of courtesy? Why is there a double-standard?

Like I said, I'm in a hurry. I want that shit up.

Ladies, I want you to marinate on that a little bit.

I'm just saying.

Note: In honour of the Motherfuckers amazing set tonight -- which included covers of the old Batman theme, followed by the Spiderman song -- I will leave you with some vintage Huevos Rancheros. They were a surf band based out of Calgary in the 1990s. I remember feeling so isolated and cut-off, listening to them in Yellowknife as a newly-pubescent and thinking, man, I wish I was part of that scene.

I'm so glad to be in Montreal right now.

3 comments:

Mongoose said...

I'm not a lady, but I'll tell you what I think of it anyway.

Toilets are bad feng shui. The best way to leave them is with the LID down, not just the seat. And if you do it that way, everyone is doing the same amount of work when they enter and exit the toilet.

Barring that, I have no objection to guys leaving the seat up. I'm fully trained in the operation of toilets, including how to put the seat down myself if perchance it's up when I enter the toilet. Which is lucky, because I operate power tools for a living, and I certainly wouldn't trust someone with power tools if she was having difficulty working a toilet seat.

Anonymous said...

Yea, the LID down is totally egalitarian, and more sanitary cuz then particles don't float around after flushing. Ew, particles

Jung said...

You actually think there are chicks that read this?

Roffle