Thursday, February 11, 2010

is herbiberous guilty of perpetuating stereotypes?

I should have known better.

After spending nearly a thousand words (or probably more) detailing the unethical treatment of Herbs in our society and talking about how damaging it is to keep the nerdy, loner Herb stereotype going, I may have been guilty of perpetuating one of today's long-held stereotypes and, in some way, further entrenching society's superficial view of the modern man.

Tonight after work, I caught myself walking around the neighbourhood supermarket with two frozen pizzas, a 2L Pepsi and a case of beer. Not exactly the picture of a renaissance man, I know. I sort of felt guilty, like I was undoing all the work that trailblazers like Jamie Oliver and other chefs supreme were doing to reprogram people and make them cognizant that young men are not all pathetically lazy loafers who sustain themselves on prepackaged food they put in and take out of microwaves.

But then I thought to myself, 'you know what, this is a special occasion and it's not like I do this every day.'

And that thought actually consoled me for a brief moment, until I reminded myself exactly what that special occasion was - I was inviting a couple buds over to play NHL10 on X-Box 360 tonight.

I suppose they are stereotypes for a reason.

1 comment:

Jung said...

Solid gold, the man has done it again!