Wednesday, November 26, 2008

becoming something i never thought i would

Big day for me today. I got a call from a local business asking me about a friend they were considering for a job.

Can't help but laugh. Yes, me. The man who searched so recently, so desperately for references just a year or so ago had now become one. 

I think that was one of the oddest conversations I've ever had. You don't want to lie and you want to help the applicant because you think they will genuinely do a good job, and it's just bizarre trying to talk about the helpfulness of the applicant without sounding too eager, or douchebaggy.

Anyways, it went well, although I started to ramble and talk in circles and tell a horrible Barry White joke that I'm not sure was appropriate (my friend is applying for a computer help desk job over the telephone and I said he'd smooth over any frustrated caller with his deep Barry White voice).

"Hey baby... Ohhh Yeaahhhh... Now I just want you to turn that router off. Yeah, just like that.... Now go on and take off them pants... Ohhh Yeaaahhhh baby...."

Not sure if there's some kind of reference call protocol or etiquette.

Good luck, Mac D.

1 comment:

Wild Woman said...

You nailed it. I just had a Barry White flashback! Nice.