Tuesday, March 3, 2009

as a hole

The legislative assembly has been filled with 18 people (and one guy moderating) speaking close to 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for the past month. Some of these 18 people have their go-to sayings. Like instead of breathing, or saying 'um', they instead choose to utter a few select words.

Here are some that jump to my mind:

David Krutko: "in regards to..."
"more importantly..."
"and yet..."

Norman Yakeleya: "in terms of..."

Jackson Lafferty: "on a moving-forward basis..."

Jackie Jacobson: "in my home riding of Nunakput..."

But perhaps my favourite (other than 'in regards to' and 'in terms of') is how every one always says 'as a whole'.

Example:
How is this going to benefit the territory as a whole?
We need to think about Yellowknife as a whole?

When I sit there, I start wondering if maybe someone watching on TV or in the gallery is taking it to mean 'as a hole.'

It makes me laugh.

Then I hear 'in terms of' 14 times in a member's statement and stop laughing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I think of this entry in regards to your blog as a whole... I mean, in regards to that, I think... uh... I forget.

Anonymous said...

Today, if Delorey said "electorIal" one mor freakin time my head was going to explode!

Chris Windeyer said...

They need to use thier blackberries to look up oration skills.

Wild Woman said...

That was great for a laugh! The one on Jacobson made me howl...what a flashback. Kudos to you for actually paying attention to what they're saying; I usually go on auto-pilot, especially after splitting brain cells over trying to make sense of Yakeleya's verbal dystrophy.