Wednesday, March 18, 2009

the bastardization of saint patty

No, don't worry folks, I'm not going to go off on some hateful tirade about our country's misappropriation of Irish culture every March 17 for a couple reasons:
1) I have neither the energy or brainpower after indulging quite whole-heartedly in said celebrations last night,
2) Any excuse to get drunk off green beer in the middle of the week, deep down, is alright with me.

But a few observations about the holiday that irk me, I guess you could say.

- In Western and Northern Canada at least, it's the one day/night that any crap East Coast band is guaranteed a gig, but I don't get it. Newfoundland folk songs are not Irish. Nova Scotia sea shanties are not Irish. I guess a drinking song is a drinking song and Newfoundlanders kind of sound Irish, but it all just seems a little odd, and if I didn't make note of it, I feel I'd be complicit in the weirdness. It's like buying tickets to a hockey game and then being treated to some ringette and no one else cares. I bet you Humboldt is Hockeyville guy had a gig somewhere out there.

- It's also the one night that any Irish guy in Canada is guaranteed to get laid in this country. And it bugs me because I'm a Canadian guy and there isn't one guaranteed night for me... anywhere. Maybe Remembrance Day or D-Day in France? Don't know how I'd feel playing that card though.

- People who have never been to Ireland start talking with accents, pulling out their one odd-ball uncle who spent six months 40 years ago as proof of their rich Irish ancestry and bloodline. Unless you've got a Mc, an O', or a Doolan in your name, I don't want to hear about how your forefathers and foremothers and foreskins were ravaged by the potato famine. Okay, pal?

- I was having a piss last night and some canned Irish musak was playing and it sounded an awful lot like God Bless America. Then I remembered a buddy telling me the Star-Spangled Banner was an old drinking tune that early Americans put different to. Damn, White America. Stole rock and roll, jazz, hip-hop and now the Irish Drinking Song.

- I was at the Black Knight for nearly 7.5 hours and never heard one Pogues song. (Okay, one Pogues song -- Dirty Old Town -- but that doesn't count when it's sung every Saturday).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! It's Paddy, not Patty. Patty is for Patricia.

Chris Windeyer said...

Dude, try living in Nova Scotia, where everyone thinks they're Irish or Scottish or anything other than Canadian.

Having relatives who moved to Canada 160 years ago doesn't make you Irish. Having an Irish passport does.

Also, I hate that fucking hokey music so much. Pogues are dope though.

Mongoose said...

Having lived in France, I can assure you that being Canadian will not get you laid over there. Any day.

And folk music from the East Coast may not be Irish but there is definitely a heavy Irish influence, making it the second best music in the world (after actual Irish music).