Thursday, July 2, 2009

slugging it out

As of 5 p.m. MST, June 30, Herbiberous voluntarily became unemployed -- a very logical and wise choice, considering we are in the midst of the worst economic times in 86 years.

While a couple things around town will keep me somewhat busy, my life is a blank screen right now. I'm mulling volunteer work overseas, internships in Canada and abroad, a broad, a road-trip through the Eastern US this fall to watch ballgames, some mad travel, teaching ESL in Asia or a government job. I feel I won't have any solid plans by Sept. 1.

Here are a couple things I'm pledging during these two months, while I do some work on my parent's house:
1) I hope to read a book every week on my hiatus from normality. I haven't been able to finish a novel in something like 10 months.
2) I'm going to catch up with old friends who I have not seen in months and months.
3) I'm going to learn some new recipes and try to cook for myself at least three or four nights a week. It's kind of embarrassing that I'm on a first name basis with every pizza delivery driver, Chinese buffet guy and fast-food worker in the city.

Note:
I spent my first 24 hours as a jobless slug within a 20 metre circumference, napping in sweatpants, no shower, watching NHL free agent frenzy with a blanket over my head, and never leaving the house. And I learned something already: tomorrow only exists for those who have jobs because for me right now, every day is just an extension of today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try www.recipezaar.com. I've tried a few awesome recipes from the site. The meat sauce for the baked ziti was the best, but the chicken cheese lasagna was a close second.

I am in a similar boat, what with leaving my editing job in the middle of gazillions of journalism layoffs. But you know what? You gotta do what feels right.

Good luck!

Jung said...

you quit your job to lay on your parents couch?

another reason i keep coming back

Megan said...

Best wishes as you begin this new adventure. :)

Guy Quenneville said...

You are living my dream, man.