Tuesday, October 20, 2009

where do our tax dollars go?


I was sent a link to this story and feel it's similar to something I wrote a while ago.


I suppose I didn't go after the story the same way, but it sort of did illustrate the relationships these people have throughout -- and after -- their political lives.

I really am so happy Bob Bromley brought this forward. Outing these sorts of contracts takes real guts, because really Bob doesn't have much to gain from doing this. I'm clearly assuming, but I don't believe he's realistically considering running for a Cabinet position and, no doubt, he will meet Todd and Bell, and their friends, in the near future, who will not be happy these contracts got headlines, especially with the ever-pending federal election.

But these truly are the types of conflicts the Premier should have to justify to the public that foots the bill -- and from his answers, at least in the story, I don't see what exactly the NWT gained by giving Bell $180,000. Some MLAs are frothy in the mouth to oust the Premier and his Cabinet, and we now have to endure the never-ending affair story: a stumble which the Premier clearly does not believe has any bearing on the public perception of his credibility as a leader. I'd be interested to see who else speaks up about these 'gifts,' or if it just gets left at this.

Perhaps the contracts were worth the money and that's how the game is played, but the explanation provided doesn't give much to appease us. If this story proves anything, it's that our leaders are loyal and generous friends.

I'd like to see exactly where this $180,000 wound up. (How many meetings does $180,000 buy exactly?)

"The contract with Mr. Bell, for example — or the Northern Strategy Group, more proper — was one that, because he was very well-connected to the party, and we needed to get established and get our business case in and get as many meetings with the appropriate ministers as possible, it made absolute sense," Roland said.

When asked if his department's contract with Bell fulfilled its purpose, Roland replied, "I think it worked out very good. We got a lot of meetings initially and it served its purpose."


Well I suppose Bell -- and the "Northern Strategy Group" -- was well-connected with the Party. He lost an election under the Conservative banner. The annual salary for a Member of Parliament in Canada is $155,400. Bell lost the election and made more money than Bevington... and in just a few months.

I really had no idea how lucrative losing could be.

(Note: I'm looking to start my own Northern Strategy Group. Anyone want to join? We can talk about how we need devolution, and more sustainable communities, and increased oil and gas development but we'd never do anything but eat and drink and talk amongst ourselves or to our friends.)

No comments: