Thursday, April 30, 2009

game 1 round 2 recap: vancouver 5 - blackhawks 3

gagagaggagagaggagagagaggaga.....

Oh man, I do not feel good after that.
That game can best be summed up thusly: felt like sitting down at the poker table, hitting a couple full houses right off the bat and raking in a nice chip lead, feeling a little good about myself, ordering a couple of stiff drinks, knocking them back in two sips, and starting to get a little too comfortable, chasing runners, throwing chips away because I can, then losing a couple of big pots that way, and next time I put down my drink I realize I let my stack crumble away to next to nothing, then in panic, going all in on a KQ suited and hitting a straight-flush.
And then running the fuck away from the table with my money and swearing off alcohol.

That game was nowhere near pretty and I don't know where to start. The reaction from the Canucks after Salo scored the eventual winner said it all. He started pumping up the crowd because he had no idea what else to do. Mitchell skates into the group-hug and looks at everyone like 'hey, we just scored, right? holy cow,' he turns around, sees Raymond and goes crazy.... It was one of those unorganized 'oh, thank Christ' moments. And oh thank Christ they got that one.

I know nobody reads these things or cares, but I feel I must keep them up, because we're 5-0 so far and although I'm a completely rational human being, I'm not going to jinx the Canucks by stopping. I think I must have looked like a whack job to the person I was watching the game with, because after Chi-town popped their first one, I refused to watch the game on the CBC's Atlantic feed, and changed to the BC feed, only to return to the Atlantic feed for commercials because I couldn't bear to miss the "Academy Canada and yoooooouuuuuuu" jingle (sung in the South Park/Basketball/Orgazmo guy voice).

I'm not really able to coherently offer any insight into that game at the moment because I'm kind of wrecked emotionally right now. Briefly: Byfulgien (Bufflin' somehow?) was a monster, as was Kesler. The Sedins played wonderfully for the first two, but like everyone on the Canucks, died in the third. Kane is this series' McDonald. I'm already going to have nightmares of that little mop-topped rugrat.


Admitting I'm afraid of this man feels like one of the most pathetic things I've ever done. He looks like he'd clam up and his retainer would fall out of his mouth or something if a pretty girl walked by him.



I do feel Vancouver will come out a lot better next game and realize they can't brazenly take a period off against this team. I still think Chicago is a year or two away from being one of the dominant teams in the league, but they're just good enough now to win this... This should be a goodie.

Note: I have a serious beef with this Vancouver crowd. They're a sad sack excuse for a home crowd. Are GM staff blowing weed smoke in through the ventillation system, because they don't a repeat of the 1994 riot? The crowd is shook all the time... The crowd is fragile... They're quiet... The crowd isn't supposed to be. They are supposed to be relentless in their backing, and psych out the opponent, get into their heads, make them think the task in front of them is insurmountable. The crowd is supposed to subliminally sway referees into making calls. The crowd is supposed to push their team, to give them an advantage, to give them a boost.


This crowd in Vancouver does the opposite. They are on pins and needles the entire time, and they don't pick up the team. They're too nervous. And it rubs off on the players, it's easy to see.


Come on, Vancouver fans. Let's start getting crazy...

No comments: