Tuesday, May 5, 2009

game 3 round 2: vancouver 3 - blackhawks 1

Ha-yuge game tonight... Big bounce back game...

I have to admit, I was bad tonight. After devoutly tuning into every split second of each game of the Canucks run (and missing out on the epic Bulls/Celtics first round series) I missed the entire first period of game 3. I just got back yesterday and I'm still in catch up mode, so I had a pint (just two) with the world famous Dawgwoods, and ran to my old man's place to watch the rest.

And man, they showed up tonight. I liked how they threw Raymond up with Kesler and Sundin tonight, with Demitra out. The message boards were a-buzzin after game two with Demitra's lackluster (what a word!) performance. I hadn't been too impressed with him seeing as he's a finisher lacking finish and a playmaker who wasn't carrying the puck, but people were enraged by his shying away from contact... maybe it was his injury? Who knows. Either way, Raymond's speed really opened it up tonight and it was nice to see someone playing with Kesler who could keep up with him.

Man, is Kesler ever turning into a beaut. He does everything. Great play to get Raymond the puck on that first goal. He's hitting, killing penalties, forechecking like a rabid dog and is a threat offensively. So, so, so damn glad we signed that offer sheet three years back.

Luongo is a captain. Hear his interview after the game? Took responsibility from the goal when Scott "worst combover on Planet Earth" Oake tried to pass blame off on Edler. And loved the comment about Byfuglien: (poorly paraphrased) "I tried to skate over to him to tell celebrate him for his great game but he skated away." Thought that was great, considering how Byfuglien started yapping at Bobby Lou after Campbell scored.


Check 2:08 for Luongo quote. What a gem... And seriously Oake, what are you doing? Just shave the top of the dome piece. You're not fooling anybody out here.

Quick sidebar: Campbell is going to completely wreck that team. In the very near future, they're going to have to sign Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Bolland and Barker to deals, and that 7 year/$49 million contract they gave Campbell is going to eat some serious cap space. I think the entire NHL is breathing a sigh of relief.

Ohlund was a monster. Hank Sedin was a force. Loved the time when he came in on a two-on-one with Rypien and didn't even look to pass and went right to the net. Usually it looks like Hank Sedin would rather eat the puck than shoot it, but he didn't even think twice. Sorry, Rick.

Steve Bernier was humungous again tonight too. I can't believe I was calling for him to get traded at the deadline. He's doing exactly what he needs to do -- playing physical, forechecking and going to the net.

Great to see Pyatt back and he really had some jump. I think he's provided the team with a lift, and like I've been telling people, this team really has the feel of a "team of destiny" what with the death of Pyatt's fiancee and Luc Bourdon's passing earlier this year.

All in all, hell of a bounce back when it seemed everyone had written this team off. They've lost one game these playoffs. So have the Bruins and Wings now. Although, I will admit, I've never felt less comfortable with a three goal lead in my life.

Let's keep er going for game 4 Thursday gents...

No comments: