Friday, September 12, 2008

let's just enjoy it for what it is... (what i'm saying to avoid jinxing)

Funny thing that you would ask, Hadlarski.

I was actually going to attach this rant to the end of my last post, but there was no way I could connect DMX groupie poo-poo bums and the Toronto Blue Jays improbable September run of 10 in a row. (Although, you could make the 'Jays are bums' connection.)

Who's this happy guy? Looks like some guy I used to watch on TV when I was a kid...

I'm very appreciative about the Blue Jays latest run. It's coincided with a spell of chilly, ice-cold rainy weather and a little lingering cold I've been battling of late. So I've been able to watch a bunch of the wins they rattled off on this streak (which tied a Major League record of 10 Ws against teams with .500 or better records), and am actually kind of excited about this team and their chances next year.

They really -- finally! -- look like a team. I mean, everyone is doing what they were brought in to do. 

Rios is raking singles and doubles to the gap with ease. I almost don't even care if he never hits another long ball. Wells is starting to look like a 126-million dollar man in the last six weeks (damn, that's still a lot of cheese). If these two can stay healthy for a whole season, the Jays at least have two capable run producers. And with chubby 20-year old Travis Snider and his sweet swing, the Jays may have a future star and a potential number 5 bat to accompany the Rios-Wells combo. Overbay's a solid bat who gets on base like crazy and Lind can hit righties, lefties as a DH or play some OF to give one of the other guys a rest. Teams can do a lot worse than Barrajas at C. Rolen, while I haven't been sold on him over the year because he can barely hit the ball out of the infield with his one arm, can still play the shit out of 3B. When they get Hill back, they'll only have one hole left to fill at SS. I know, I know, Johnny Mac has a glove (and the same name as our first Prime Minister) but we need someone who has actually hit a baseball before. Man, let's bring Robbie Alomar back -- if only to be able to watch the McCain's 'Catch the Taste' commercials again.

Overall, though, that's a pretty solid line-up, from start to finish, if it's healthy. And over this winning streak, they've shown they can put together some nice rallies at the right time, which winning teams seem to do.

And defensively, they're leading the league in fielding percentage and having their best season in franchise history, in that category.

The best part about watching the team this year, though, is the pitching staff. The bullpen has been lights out with Downs, League, Carlson, and the rest. I would say it's a good sign of depth when your closer is your worst reliever. All our middle relievers and set up men are locked up until at least 2011, too.

Halladay should win the Cy Young this year. He has been the man, as usual. 

Can we get this guy a playoff appearance, please? Soon? Before the rock of our franchise becomes... 

... a broken man.
(Note: Milk is always a bad choice.)

And even though Burnett is leaving, Marcum, Litsch, Purcey and McGowan will be a young rotation as strong as any team in the league (that may be a bit presumptuous, but I'm a homer). The Jays have allowed 26 fewer runs than any other team in the league this year. Quietly.

So yeah, there is a lot to be excited about, for next year.

Then they rally off 10 in a row and people start going, "hmmmm, what about this year?" I won't say I didn't think about it, but I stopped short of verbalizing it aloud. Call me superstitious -- every sports fan is -- I didn't want to lay the jinx down.

Then on Wednesday, I got a couple emails and tsn.ca ran a story after win #10, and wouldn't you know it, they lost their next one. Jinxed. Not that one loss means they won't get in or make the run, but you can't start talking about the playoffs when they are 7 games back of the Wild Card with 20 left to play. You just have to enjoy it and not talk about it, like an extra-marital affair. Treat it like a goalie working on a shutout in hockey. Think about it, but make every effort to talk about something else. If it gets to 3 games, then it's there to debate. 

Any discussion of playoffs puts unreasonable expectation on the team. I don't want to say that's why they lost that game 6-5 to the White Sox on Wednesday -- because they won the next night -- but I think we should just enjoy the ride. And if they can sweep the Red Sox this weekend (putting them 2.5 back) then we can legitimately start thinking October.

For now, though, like I said, we need to put away all nostalgic '92 and '93 thoughts (and Candy Maldonado pennants), and just enjoy the ride. 

And worship the Cito.

Note: In researching this post, I stumbled across a blog that deserves your visiting:


I really wish I would have thought of that... It's right up with the cats that look like Hitler website.

1 comment:

Markus said...

***CROSSES FINGERS***