Tuesday, August 5, 2008

...and people say it's stealing


Anyone kicking around Slader's for any amount of time during the epic wedding last summer in Edmonton might remember the Dilla videos bumping on his laptop, in the brief moments of semi-sobriety, between waking up and getting out of the apartment.

Some kind soul had posted, on youtube, all the original songs Dilla sampled on Donuts, and in the second half of the video, you could here how he chopped it.

Inexplicably, they all vanished a month or two later (including Dilla's sampling of Motherlode's "When I Die" for "Intro" on Donuts, which was ridiculous).

Well kiddies, some selfless humanitarians have posted new songs from some J Dilla classics and some of my favourites...




and just because of the hidden message on the last song on his last album before his death, knowing he wasn't going to be around much longer, I'll post these... he was a genius.


Man, it's so cool hearing where these beats came from and figuring how the hell he found the sample and made it work in the song.
And it's even cooler when you hear something on the radio that has been sampled in track you were just listening to.
A bunch of us took a road trip through Cali to Coachella last April, and I remember hearing little things Dilla sampled in like four or five songs on the radio one day. I got all excited, ripped out the podski and tossed on the parts to show everyone... they humoured me by pretending to be interested.
Shit, I hope whoever reads this is interested... whoops... maybe should have taken a hint.

And man, I get a kick out of how some can call sampling stealing.
Nope, morons.

Brutal. Someone is making cinnamon buns next door... I don't need that.
At least I have Donuts.
Herbiberous

No comments: