Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Priorities: a discussion between a young and an old man


As a man gets older, his priorities change.
Apparently.

I took a cab out to the end of Federal Road to pick up a friend's car today. I hailed it outside the post office, about a half hour's walk from the destination. I could have walked it. It probably would have been nice and relaxing on this sunny day. But I had no energy.

A nice old French man, who must have celebrated his 60th birthday years ago, picked me up. I always just end up yapping away when I get a nice cabbie.

"I think I would have liked to walk this... but I don't know, man. I'm so dead. The last two weeks, I've been so tired," I said.
"You need a vacation from your vacation, eh?" he joked.
"No, no. Just a vacation."
"Okay."
"Not even a vacation. Just a week , man. A week with a girl, a hammock, a beer, and a beach. Shit, I don't even need a beach. Just a girl and a hammock. And a beer."
The old man chuckled.
"What?"
"At my age, the order changes completely."
"Really?"
"Yeah," he said. "I need the ocean, first. I need to have the ocean. Then the hammock would be nice. Then beer. And then a girl."
"You've had enough girls, eh?"
"Well, when you're 60, a girl is not much use to you."

Well played, good sir.

60-year old man's idea of a hot, steamy, one-night stand?

And yes, I do need a week. But I'd settle for a weekend, at this point. Even a 60-year old man's idea of a one-night stand, actually.

Herbiberous

No comments: