Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hoorah for Ra!!!

I had become a grumpy, grumpy dude.

The constant drizzle and the fog were starting to break me. The clouds hung at the top of the hills all week, the wind blew in off the bay and it was cold and grey and miserable, and I had taken on all these characteristics. Not helping at all was the fact that I was alone in the office and when I got home, and Oil Can was my only commisserator. And he was more cantankerous than I.

To summarize, I'd become a broken man by Friday night.

Anyhow, I awoke Saturday and there in the sky was the gift of sun and blue.
I can't really say if I've ever gone six days without sun. Maybe on a trip through Britain, but really those days were so filled with new sights (and booze) that I hardly took notice.
I got up early -- soaked it the hell up -- went to get a coffee and bumped into a girl I met a week ago. We sat and chatted for an hour about accordians and writing and Iqaluit and I credit her with blowing away any of the lingering fog still clouding me up and I rambled off to work feeling re-energized.

I really will never again under estimate the power of the Sun. It had such an effect on me yesterday. I'd kiss the sun if doing so wouldn't burn the shit out of my face.

Me and Heidi-Ann -- back in town from Pangnirtung and Qikiqtarjuaq -- went out and explored the icebergs that had been blown into the bay and stranded in low tide.



Snowball fight, anyone?


Heidi-Ann tries some gigantic ancient glacial sno-cone

Heidi-Ann defeats the Vertigo foe

Carnivorous Ice Whale devours Iqaluit!!!

I chucked a rock at this thing and it bounced straight down

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun with Ice Chunks- I love it.