Friday, January 9, 2009

commercial fallacy

Is this guy white enough to make the cut for old Timmy Hos?

Was sitting stunned and stupid in front of the TV the other day with my roommate Feltch and watching one of those horrible hokey folky Tim Horton's commercials.

You know the ones... 
(Deep guy voice, scenic shot of a Tim Horton's at sunrise): "Serving up all that fresh coffee"
(Skinny white lady smiling): "From Coquitlum, BC.
(Down home white-haired old East Coaster): "To Gander, Newfoundland."

Blechh

Anyways, Feltch says something interesting. "That's not fucking Tim Hortons. There's no Filipinos or 13-year-olds in the commercial."

It's true. I don't think I've ever been to a Tim Horton's that was staff by exclusively white adults, like the commercial depicted, whether Yellowknife, or Leduc, AB, or Hamilton, ON. It was a blatant misrepresentation. And Tim Horton's sells itself as a cup of Canadiana. 

What is your picture of Canada, Tim Horton's?

It's a beef I've always had with commercials. You see all these TV ads or promotional brochures for schools or organizations and they always make sure to include all different races of people.

Someone is missing. Do you know who it is?

There is always a white person, black person, Asian person, Arab person. I swear, I saw a commercial with a family with a black mom, Asian dad and two white kids. How does that work?

What's the matter with that? Nothing, really. But my beef is that they always neglect one very important group. There is never a token aboriginal or Inuit person in these commercials. Ever. 

You only really find it in the Territories on government-issued propaganda... er... promotional fare...

Let's take a look at the numbers nationally and see if this is deserved.

According to 2006 Census:

Aboriginal, Metis and Inuit population: 1,172,785
South Asian: 1,262,865
Chinese: 1,216,570
Black: 783,795
Filipino: 410,695

I think, according to these numbers, a token aboriginal person in TV commercials is justified. 

It's only fair.

If I started a petition, would you all back me?

Note:
I include the following photo only because it came up when I searched "Tim Hortons commercial" on google images.... And because there are a couple people who visit this blog that would appreciate it far more than they would the preceding post.

You know who you are.

Megan, why won't you return my calls?

No comments: